Fortnite and Epic Games accounts are one of the latest targets for hackers and social engineers.
The makers of Fortnite, Epic Games, are under some pressure as the number of users reporting hacked accounts is on the rise. The support forums of the game maker are far from lonely with users complaining about lost V-Bucks, charges on credit or debit cards attached to accounts, and even users losing access to some accounts.
This is part of a larger issue which we have discussed before. It is a safe bet that most of these attacks are not technical in nature; meaning that hackers did not hack into these accounts using some sort of technical exploit, but most likely due to social engineering attacks.
We hear the question all that time, “can we hack Fortnite to get free V-Bucks?”
… and it is not hard to believe that this sort of search term has been trending…
… or this one…
… and there are too many variations to list, so here they are:
This is just a small example of the issue, in fact, if you want to get a better idea of what is happening, check out this account compromise forum.
According to Epic Games, many users are falling victim to email phishing scams which target users by offering free v-bucks where they are redirected to a fake website and asked to log in. Others download software alleging to assist in gameplay such as auto wall builders or other sorts of one button macros. It is not unreasonable to believe that these programs, or rogue code, contain key loggers or take screen grabs and send them to remote hackers who can get gain access to user accounts.
Despite the issues, Epic Games has some news and recommends taking some action to help ensure that users maintain secured accounts:
1. They are aware of well-known hacking attempts to compromise accounts and are doing everything they can to prevent them.
2. Most compromised accounts use weak or shared passwords.
3. Don’t fall for phishing attempts and fake websites promising free V-bucks (the Fortnite in-game currency). In detail, phishing attacks are usually emails or links shared in the hopes of bating a user to input account information or credentials of some type which would give hackers information on accessing the account of the victim. In some cases, these websites act as replicas to the Epic Games website or pretend to be a legitimate company which will “deposit free v-bucks in your account” but just need your account info to do this… (Note: Epic Games is going after those hackers and websites trying to compromise players and the game.)
4. Friend Codes in Save the World Founder’s Packs were one of the main reasons that accounts were being compromised. The Founder’s Packs that include Friend Codes are no longer available in the store.
5. Epic Games STRONGLY recommends players to activate multi-factor authentication. This is a method which allows users to add a second method of authentication so even if someone logs in with a correct password, a code is sent to your phone which is needed to validate into the account.
Develop Good Habits
It is not that hard to inadequately secure an account. That is why it is more important than ever to learn how to secure your accounts and make that process part of your digital life.
For example, using identical or similar passwords across multiple accounts leaves you vulnerable to potential hacks. In a previous blog, we talked about how to Set a Complex iPhone Password, which is much more secure than numeric passcodes. In it we discussed how to formulate long, more secure passwords to secure accounts while keeping them simple enough to remember.
Finally, for those who are looking for free V-Bucks, it is a good idea to think twice… Epic Games has a lot of motivation to go after users or hackers who attempt to compromise the in-game currency system. After all, they have a hit on their hands, at least for now…
In the meanwhile, keep an eye out on your accounts and opt-in for multi-factor authentication when it is available.